The 2019 Mac Pro contains a user-accessible modular design, and prospects can simply improve RAM, MPX Modules, PCIe playing cards, and extra. Learn on for verify on the reminiscence specs required for the Mac Professional, and a step-by-step walkthrough on set up extra RAM.
You’re most likely unlikely to outfit your Mac Professional with the utmost quantity of RAM, even with extra reasonably priced aftermarket sticks, because the machine could make use of as much as a staggering 1.5 TB.
Whether or not you’re wanting to simply add a pair dozen extra GBs or lots of, listed here are the specs to search for when shopping for, and steps to put in extra RAM in your Mac Professional.
OWC already has its Mac Pro RAM available and it’s licensed to work with the pc ranging from $450 for 64 GB sticks. And we’ve examined out the even more affordable RAM from Nemix and confirmed that it really works with the Mac Professional.
Mac Professional: Reminiscence specs and set up extra RAM
If you wish to purchase RAM from a 3rd occasion, Apple notes the specs you’ll want to satisfy these standards:
- 2933 MHz DDR4 full-length DIMM. Mixing reminiscence speeds just isn’t really helpful.
- Error-correcting code (ECC)
- 8 GB, 16 GB, 32 GB, 64 GB, or 128 GB DIMMs
- Registered (R-DIMM) or Load-Lowered DIMM (LR-DIMM). Don’t combine R-DIMMs and LR-DIMMs.
- Use the identical measurement reminiscence modules throughout all slots to maximise efficiency.
- DIMMs with heatsinks should not supported and will injury the DIMM mechanism.
You’ll be able to learn extra in regards to the specific memory specs of your explicit Mac Professional construct on Apple’s support page here. And browse all of the fantastic particulars about including more RAM to your Mac Pro here.
set up RAM in your Mac Professional
- Learn Apple’s documentation to figure out which slots to use
- Shut down your Mac Professional and wait 10 minutes
- When your Mac Professional is totally cool, unplug all cables besides the facility twine
- Contact the steel Mac Professional case to discharge any static electrical energy, then unplug the facility twine
- Unlock the Mac Professional case and take away it by pulling up
- Slide the DIMM cowl latch to the left and take away the duvet
- Slide the DIMM cowl latch on the decrease DIMM slots
- Open the DIMM ejectors on the skin of the every slot
- Pull RAM straight out by the perimeters of the sticks
- Line up the brand new RAM rigorously and push them in firmly with even stress, the DIMM ejectors will click on into place
- Change the DIMM covers by inserting the precise edge in first earlier than clicking the left facet into place
- Change the Mac Professional case, plug in your Mac and different cables, and switch it on
Observe together with the video beneath for a breif walkthrough from Apple and our in-depth video tutorial from Jeff Benjamin.
Learn extra 9to5Mac tutorials:
iPhone & iPad:
FTC: We use revenue incomes auto affiliate hyperlinks. More.