This 12 months’s main software program releases from Apple convey a pleasant improve for watching YouTube movies on lots of its gadgets. Comply with alongside for how one can watch 4K YouTube movies on iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV.
Whereas iPhones and iPads don’t have 4K shows, they’ll present higher-quality video than the 1080p that they’ve been restricted to with YouTube.
Funnily sufficient, although Apple TV 4K has been out for 3 years, it’s just now gaining 4K YouTube support this year as effectively. You’ll be able to watch YouTube in 4K on a Mac, but not with Safari for now. However we’ve seen the performance arrive with macOS Big Sur for Netflix.
With iOS 14, iPadOS 14, and tvOS 14, Apple is providing 4K YouTube assist.
Word: iOS/iPadOS/tvOS 14 can be found as free public betas in addition to developer betas. Learn extra here on how to install them. Remember it’s not a good suggestion to run beta software program on a main gadget as efficiency points, bugs, and extra are labored out.
iOS 14: The best way to watch 4K YouTube movies on iPhone and iPad
- Open the YouTube app in your iPhone or iPad (4K not obtainable with YouTube in Safari in iOS 14)
- Begin enjoying a video and faucet the display, select the vertical three-dot “Extra” icon within the top-right nook
- Faucet High quality
- To observe in 4K, decide 2160p when obtainable
Not all gadgets that may run iOS 14 get 4K YouTube assist (a minimum of in the mean time). For instance, with iOS 14 on an iPhone X, we didn’t see the performance (we’ve additionally heard from a reader that doesn’t see the choice with an iPhone XS).
On Apple TV
Word: Apple has introduced 4K support is coming to YouTube on Apple TV sooner or later with tvOS 14. Within the meantime, you possibly can AirPlay 4K movies from YouTube on iPhone or iPad to Apple TV as a workaround.
- Open the YouTube app
- Begin watching a video
- Press the touchpad on the Apple TV distant
- Choose the vertical three-dot “Extra” icon
- Select “High quality” and decide 2160p when obtainable
Right here’s how the steps look on iPad (identical steps on iPhone):
Now faucet the three-dot “Extra” icon within the top-right nook:
Now faucet “High quality” and choose “2160p” when obtainable:
The best way to AirPlay 4K YouTube movies to Apple TV
Earlier than lengthy you’ll be capable to watch YouTube in 4K immediately with the Apple TV YouTube app, however till then…
- Within the YouTube app on iPhone or iPad working iOS 14, faucet the display of a enjoying video
- Faucet the solid icon (rectangle with wifi image within the left nook)
- Select AirPlay & Bluetooth gadgets
- Faucet your Apple TV
- Alternatively, you possibly can display mirror your iPhone or iPad from Management Middle (pull down from the highest proper nook on gadgets with out a house button/pull up from the underside of the display on gadgets with a house button)
Learn extra 9to5Mac tutorials:
FTC: We use revenue incomes auto affiliate hyperlinks. More.